Shepherd’s Pie is made with lamb and Cottage Pie with beef. Both were originally ways of using up leftover roast meat by chopping it finely, mixing with stock or gravy and reheating with a good layer of mashed potato on the top. You can also make either pie from minced raw meat.
1. Put the oil and onion in a large saucepan and cook very gently, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent and tender – about 10 minutes.
2. Add the mince and cook until just browned, stirring constantly. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring, then add the tomato purée, stock and chutney or relish.
3. Bring to a simmer and cook gently for 15–20 minutes.
4. Cook the potatoes in boiling, salted water until tender, then drain and return to the pan. Heat gently to remove excess moisture, shaking the pan.
5. Preheat the oven to 190ºC.
6. Mash the potato with the butter, onion, salt and pepper and half of the grated cheese. Beat until smooth and creamy.
7. Put the mince into a pie dish and top with the mashed potato. Sprinkle with the remaining grated cheese
8. Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is crisp and golden.
Join our newsletter
Subscribe to receive Edmonds updates, recipes and more