Any baked fruit becomes a treat with a crunchy crumble topping. This is easy to make and a perennial family favourite.
2 cups stewed fruit – e.g. apples, plums, apricots
2 Tbsp brown sugar
¾ cup Edmonds standard flour
1 tsp Edmonds baking powder
½ cup sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 190˚C.
2. Place the stewed fruit in an ovenproof dish and sprinkle with the brown sugar.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
4. Stir in the sugar and spoon the crumble mixture evenly over the fruit.
5. Bake for 30 minutes or until pale golden. Serve with cream, yoghurt or custard.
Replace the white flour with wholemeal flour.
Wholegrain Oat Crumble
Reduce the flour to ¼ cup. Stir in ½ cup wholegrain oats after the sugar.