The perfect crunchy vehicle for whipped cream. They keep well in an airtight tin, but fill them just before serving to keep them snappy.
3 Tbsp golden syrup
75g soft brown sugar
½ tsp finely grated lemon zest
½ cup Edmonds standard flour
1 tsp ground ginger
150ml cream, whipped and flavoured with a little brandy
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Grease several baking trays very lightly.
2. Put the golden syrup, brown sugar and butter into a saucepan and heat gently, stirring, until melted together, but not boiling. Pour into a mixing bowl and cool for 5 minutes.
3. Add the lemon zest, sift in the flour and ginger, then mix well.
4. Drop the mixture in small teaspoonfuls onto the trays, allowing 4 to a tray. They will spread so keep them well apart.
5. Bake one tray at a time for 8–10 minutes until the brandy snaps have spread out and are golden brown.
6. Leave them on the tray for a minute or two to set, then lift them one at a time with a spatula and roll around the handle of a wooden spoon, or a conical cream horn mould. Leave on a rack to cool, join side down.
7. Fill with whipped cream just before serving.