- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 23cm shallow square cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add the egg yolks and vanilla, beating well.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt and add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared tin and level the top.
- To make the topping, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form and then fold in the sugar and coconut. Spread evenly over the cake.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Leave in tin for 10 minutes before turning out carefully onto a wire rack to cool. To protect the topping reverse again immediately using another rack.
Raspberry Macaroon Cake
Spread 2 tablespoons raspberry jam over the cake before adding the macaroon topping.