No one will miss out on Hot Cross Buns this Easter with our gluten-free recipe!
1. Combine flour, sugar, yeast, cinnamon, mixed spice, ginger, nutmeg, salt and cloves in
the bowl of a stand mixer (or any large bowl).
2. Add the milk, butter, egg, vinegar, sultanas
and mixed peel. Using the dough hook attachment of a stand mixer or handheld electric
mixer, knead until smooth but still a little sticky (about 8 minutes).
3. Divide dough evenly into 12 pieces. Using lightly oiled hands, roll each piece into a ball
and place 1-2cm apart on a large baking paper-lined oven tray or roasting dish. Cover
with a piece of oiled cling film and leave to rise in a warm place until almost doubled in size
(about 1 hour).
4. Meanwhile, make the cross paste by mixing the flour, baking powder and water together.
Transfer to a piping bag.
5. Bring the sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan. When the sugar has dissolved,
remove it from heat.
6. Preheat oven to 180°C fan bake.
7. Pipe crosses onto the risen buns.
8. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden.
9. Brush the tops of the buns with glaze.