175g butter, softened
1¾ cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
½ cup cocoa
2 cups Edmonds standard flour
2 tsp Edmonds baking powder
1 cup milk
icing sugar (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Grease a 22cm deep round cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
2. Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla essence until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Sift the cocoa, flour and baking powder together and add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
4. Bake for 45–55 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched. Leave in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
5. When cold, ice with Chocolate Buttercream Icing or dust with icing sugar.