This classic recipe has consistently topped the polls as the most popular in the Edmonds Cookery Book.
125g butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1-11/2 cups or 3-4 mashed ripe bananas
1 tsp Edmonds baking soda
2 Tbsp hot milk
2 cups Edmonds standard flour
1 tsp Edmonds baking powder
icing sugar (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Butter the inside of a 20cm deep round cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
2. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Add the mashed banana and mix well.
4. Stir the baking soda into the hot milk and add to creamed mixture, then sift together the dry ingredients together and fold through the creamed mixture.
5. Scoop the mixture into the prepared tin, level the top, and bake for about 50 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
6. Leave in tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool. When cold ice with Lemon or Chocolate Icing or dust with icing sugar.;
You could also bake the mixture in two 20cm round sandwich tins for 25 minutes. Sandwich the cakes together with whipped cream and sliced banana and dust the top with icing sugar.