A moist and spicy cake that has been a favourite for decades. Easy to mix, tastes very good, sounds like health-food, and – if you can resist the cream cheese icing – it is dairy-free as well . . .
1 cup Edmonds wholemeal flour
1 tsp Edmonds baking soda
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
1 cup sugar
1½ cups grated carrot, lightly packed
1 cup sultanas or mixed dried fruit
¼ cup chopped walnuts
¾ cup oil
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Lightly grease a 20cm square tin and line the base and two sides with baking paper. Or use a 20cm ring tin, lightly greased and dusted with flour.
2. Put the flour, baking soda and spices in a bowl and mix them thoroughly. A whisk is a good implement for this.
3. Add the sugar, grated carrot, fruit and the walnuts and mix again.
4. With a fork, beat together the oil and the eggs and tip them onto the other ingredients. Mix until well combined and pour into the prepared tin.
5. Bake for 40–45 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched.
6. Cool in the tin on a wire rack. When cold, ice with Cream Cheese Icing.