1. Preheat the oven to 190ºC. Lightly butter two 20cm sandwich tins and line the bases with baking paper.
2. Beat egg whites until stiff. Beat in sugar then yolks.
3. Sift cornflour, flour and baking powder into egg mixture.
4. Dissolve golden syrup in boiling water. Add to egg mixture, stirring in gently with a metal spoon.
5. Pour mixture evenly into the sandwich tins.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Leave in tins for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.