1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C and grease a standard 12-hole muffin tin.
2. Sift together the flours, baking powder, and salt then stir in the sugar and bran flakes.
3. Melt the butter and golden syrup together and separately dissolve the soda in the milk.
4. Tip both the wet mixtures and the beaten egg into the dry ingredients and mix quickly with a round-bladed table knife. Don't overmix, just stir until everything is almost combined.
5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin tins and bake for 12 to 15 minutes until risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.