An American classic; luscious and sweet with a delightful nutty crunch.
1. Preheat the oven to 190˚C. On a lightly floured board roll out the pastry, and lift it onto a 20cm shallow tart tin. Trim the edges and chill for 10 minutes.
2. Put a crumpled sheet of greaseproof paper or aluminium foil into the pastry case and fill with dry chickpeas, rice or beans. This process is called ‘baking blind’ and the beans stop the pastry from rising as it cooks. The beans cannot be cooked after this use but if you keep them in a screw top jar you can use them again for baking blind.
3. Bake the pastry case for 15 minutes, and then remove it from the oven and take out the paper and the beans. Return the case to the oven for 5 minutes to dry the pastry then cool on a rack.
4. To make the filling cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in honey and pecans.
5. Reduce oven temperature to 180˚C. Pour filling into cooked pastry base. Return to oven and bake for a further 30 minutes or until filling is set.