Make your own this Christmas – they will be far better than any bought ones . . .
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
2. On a lightly floured board, roll out the sweet shortcrust pastry to 3mm thickness or use the ready-rolled pastry sheets. Cut out rounds with a 7cm cutter and the same number of tops with a 6cm cutter. You should get about 16 of each.
3. Fit the larger circles of pastry into patty tins and put about 1 tablespoon of mincemeat into each.
4. Brush the edges of the bases with milk and place the tops on, pressing gently to seal the edges.
5. Brush the tops with milk, sprinkle with a little caster sugar and make a small slit in the tops.
6. Bake for about 20 minutes until lightly browned, then remove from the tins to cool on a rack. Dust with icing sugar.
7. Before serving, reheat in a low 140˚C oven for 15 minutes or until warm.