A very quickly made, one-bowl sponge cake. Serve as a sponge sandwich, or use as a trifle sponge or for lamingtons.
11/2 cups Edmonds standard flour; 1 cup sugar; 3 eggs; 50g butter, melted; 2 Tbsp milk; 2 tsp Edmonds baking powder
1. Preheat the oven to 190ºC. Lightly butter two 20cm sandwich tins and line the bases with circles of baking paper.
2. Put the flour and sugar into a large mixing bowl and combine well.
3. Break in the eggs, followed by the melted butter and milk.
4. Beat hard for 3 minutes until the mixture is pale and smooth. Lastly fold in the Edmonds baking powder.
5. Pour into the prepared tins and bake at for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cakes spring back when lightly touched.
6. Leave in the tins for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
7. When cool fill with jam and whipped cream and dust the top with icing sugar.