pinch of salt
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
5 Tbsp Edmonds standard flour
1 tsp Edmonds baking powder
25g butter, melted
jam or lemon honey and whipped cream
1. Preheat the oven to 190ºC. Lightly butter 2 x 20cm square sandwich tins and line the base and 2 sides with a piece of baking paper.
2. Beat together the eggs and salt until fluffy, about 3 minutes, then add the sugar a little at a time and beat for 7 more minutes until a pale creamy colour and very thick. After 10 minutes beating the sugar will all have dissolved.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder together, then sift them again onto the egg mixture and fold them in very gently using a fork or a slotted spoon. Lastly fold in the melted butter.
4. Scoop into the prepared tin, spread out evenly and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the surface is lightly browned and the cake springs back when lightly touched.
5. Leave in tins for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
7. Spread one sponge with jam or lemon honey and whipped cream then sandwich together and dust with icing sugar.