The coconut gives this brownie a lovely chewy texture and the use of cocoa versus chocolate makes it very economical.
¼ cup cocoa
½ tsp Edmonds baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
½ cup coconut
½ cup Edmonds standard flour
icing sugar to dust
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Lightly grease a 20cm square tin and line the base and two sides with baking paper.
2. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan and sift in the cocoa. Stir over a low heat for 1–2 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar, then add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Mix in the vanilla and coconut, then sift the flour and baking powder and stir in. Pour into the prepared tin
5. Bake for 15–20 minutes. Don’t over bake or it will be dry. Leave the brownie in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
6. Cut into bars when cold and dust the tops with icing sugar.