The rolled oats give our classic caramel slice extra texture to offset the sweetness of the caramel.
150g butter, softened
1 Tbsp golden syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup Edmonds standard flour
1 tsp Edmonds baking powder
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp sweetened condensed milk
2 Tbsp butter
1 cup icing sugar
1 Tbsp hot water
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Lightly grease a 20cm square cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
2. Melt butter, golden syrup and brown sugar in a saucepan large enough to hold all the ingredients. Mix in the sifted flour and baking powder and the rolled oats until a dough forms.
3. Press evenly into the prepared tin. Bake for 15 minutes.
4. Make the filling by placing the brown sugar, condensed milk and butter in a saucepan. Heat until bubbling then remove from the hob. Add the icing sugar and water, beating to combine.
5. When the base is removed from the oven spread with the warm caramel filling. Cool in the tin on a wire rack and when cold ice with Chocolate Icing. Cut into squares when the topping has set.