A soft moist loaf with a delicious underlying note of caramelised dates.
1 cup chopped dates; 2 Tbsp golden syrup; 1 cup boiling water; 11/4 cups Edmonds standard flour; 1 tsp Edmonds baking powder; 1 tsp Edmonds baking soda; 1/2 cup oat bran; 3/4 cup brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC. Grease and line a 22cm loaf tin.
2. Put dates and golden syrup in a bowl. Pour over boiling water and stand for 15 minutes.
3. In another bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, oat bran and sugar. Fold into date mixture.
4. Spoon mixture into loaf tin.
5. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until loaf springs back when lightly touched.
6. Leave in tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.