These are a New Zealand classic and were once essential on a well-stocked afternoon tea table. Crusty and tender they are served split and buttered. You will need a tray of cast iron gem irons to make them properly.
25g butter, melted; 2 Tbsp brown sugar; 1 Tbsp honey; 1 egg; 1 cup Edmonds standard flour; 11/2 tsp Edmonds baking powder; pinch of salt; 1/2 cup milk; extra butter
1. Preheat gem irons in oven at 200ºC.
2. Mix butter, sugar and honey together in a bowl. Beat in egg.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Add to butter mixture with milk. Mix lightly.
4. Put 1/2 teaspoon pieces of butter in hot gem irons and spoon mixture into sizzling butter.
5. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.