1 cup chopped dates
1 cup boiling water
1 tsp Edmonds baking soda
1 Tbsp butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 cup chopped walnuts
¼ tsp vanilla essence
2 cups Edmonds standard flour
1 tsp Edmonds baking powder
1. Put the dates, boiling water, soda and butter into a bowl and stir until the butter has melted. Set aside for 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Grease a 22cm loaf tin and line the base with baking paper.
3. Add the sugar, egg, walnuts and vanilla to the date mixture and beat well.
4. Sift the flour and baking powder onto the date mixture, and gently stir to just combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
5. Bake for 45 minutes or until the loaf springs back when lightly touched. Leave in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.