A very popular recipe from the 1957 Edmonds Cookery Book. This creamy-coloured loaf has a golden crust, tastes delicious, keeps well and makes excellent toast.
3 cups Edmonds standard flour
3 tsp Edmonds baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 cup fine desiccated coconut
1 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1½ cups milk
1 Tbsp butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C. Grease a 26cm loaf tin and line the base with baking paper.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt and stir in the coconut and sugar.
3. Add the beaten egg, milk and melted butter and stir to combine. Spoon into the prepared tin.
4. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the loaf is golden and springs back when lightly touched.
5. Leave in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.