3.5kg tomatoes, chopped
1kg apples, peeled and chopped
6 onions, chopped
3 cups sugar
4 cups malt vinegar
2 Tbsp salt
½–1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp whole allspice
2 tsp whole cloves
1. Put the tomatoes, apples, onions, sugar, vinegar, salt and cayenne pepper into a preserving pan. Tie the peppercorns, allspice and cloves in a piece of muslin and add to the pan.
2. Bring slowly to the boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves, then simmer gently for about 2 hours or until completely pulpy.
3. Remove the spice bag and either press the sauce through a coarse sieve, or purée in a blender or food processor. Work in small batches to avoid splashes and spills.
4. Return the sauce to the pan and bring back to the boil and simmer for 2 minutes.
5. Pour into sterilised bottles and seal tightly. Keep for at least 3 weeks before using.