This is called the absorption method and it works for any quantity of rice - 1 cup of water for every cup of rice.
1 cup rice
1 cup water
pinch of salt
1. Wash the rice and put it in a saucepan which has a close-fitting lid. Add the water and the salt.
2. With the lid off the pan, bring the water to a fast boil.
3. Stir once, put on the lid and reduce the heat to very low. A simmer mat is useful over a gas flame.
4. Leave the rice for 20 minutes and do not lift the lid!
5. Remove from the heat, then lift the lid and stir the rice gently with a wooden fork or a pair of chopsticks (this prevents the grains from breaking). Replace the lid and leave for 5 minutes, then serve.