An Italian dish of eggs and vegetables – perfect for a quick lunch or light meal. Started on the top of the stove and finished under the grill.
2 onions, chopped
3 cups grated vegetables – e.g.courgettes, carrots, potatoes
salt and pepper
4 Tbsp cream or milk
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
ham or bacon, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
2. Melt the butter in a large heavy-based ovenproof frying pan, add the onions and cook gently until translucent, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the grated vegetables and meat if adding, season well with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until just tender.
4. Preheat the grill. Beat together the eggs and cream or milk and pour over the vegetable mixture.
5. Cook gently until the egg begins to cook at the edges, then sprinkle over the parmesan and grill for 8–10 minutes until the egg is set. Serve cut into wedges.