Colourful, crisp and tasty, these are a great accompaniment for any cold meats, cheese, or even in a salad.
12 shallots or pickling onions, peeled
1 cucumber, peeled and diced
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup sliced green beans
2 cups cauliflower florets
1 red capsicum, sliced
6 Tbsp salt
500ml Spiced Vinegar
1. Prepare the vegetables so that the pieces are a similar size. Put the onion, cucumber and celery into one non-metallic bowl, the beans and cauliflower into another and the red capsicum in a third.
2. Sprinkle the capsicum with 1 tablespoon of the salt and divide the remaining salt between the other two bowls. Cover and let stand for 12 hours or overnight.
3. The next day drain off the liquid and rinse the vegetables in cold water. Drain again.
4. Drop the cauliflower and beans into boiling water and cook for 2 minutes, then remove.
5. Mix all the vegetables together, pack into sterilised jars and pour over enough spiced vinegar to cover.
6. Seal the jars with non-metallic lids and keep for at least 3 weeks before using.