A yellow vegetable pickle, sometimes called piccalilli, which is the perfect condiment for cold meats or in a corned beef sandwich.
4 cups cauliflower florets
4 cups pickling onions
4 cups green tomatoes, diced
4 cups cucumber, diced
1¼ cups salt
1 cup Edmonds standard flour
4 tsp dry mustard
1½ Tbsp turmeric
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup sugar
1L malt vinegar
1. Put the prepared vegetables into a large non-metallic bowl, then dissolve the salt in the water and pour over the vegetables.
2. Leave to stand for 24 hours covered with a cloth, then drain thoroughly.
3. Mix together the flour, mustard, turmeric, cayenne pepper and sugar and stir in a little of the vinegar to make a smooth paste. Gradually add the remaining vinegar and put the liquid into a preserving pan.
4. Bring gradually to the boil, stirring until the mixture thickens. Add the drained vegetables and boil for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are heated through.
5. Pack into sterilised jars and cover tightly. Keep for at least 2 weeks before using.