2½ cups malt vinegar
1 Tbsp salt
2 cups sugar
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp ground ginger
½ cup Edmonds standard flour
½ cup malt vinegar
1. Steam or boil the unpeeled beetroot for 30 minutes or until tender.
2. When the beetroot have cooled a little, rub off the skins and finely chop the beetroot and onions – you can do this in a food processor.
3. Put the vegetables in a preserving pan with the first measure of vinegar and bring to a simmer. Cook until the onion is tender.
4. Add the salt, sugar, allspice, pepper and ginger and boil for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Mix the flour to a smooth paste with the second measure of vinegar, add to the pan and bring to the boil, stirring. Simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Pack into sterilised jars and cover tightly. Keep for at least 2 weeks before using.