2 Tbsp oil
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 cups cooked lean minced lamb
4 tomatoes, blanched and chopped
½ cup tomato purée
½ cup liquid chicken stock
1 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp salt
1 large eggplant, sliced
¼ cup oil
2 egg yolks
1 Tbsp Edmonds standard flour
200g natural unsweetened yoghurt
salt and pepper
1. Heat first measure of oil in a saucepan. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is clear. Stir in meat, tomatoes, tomato purée and stock. Bring to the boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat, cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
2. While meat is cooking, sprinkle salt over eggplant and set aside for 30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry. Heat second measure of oil in a frying pan. Fry eggplant until light brown and soft.
3. Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
4. Place one-third of the eggplant in an ovenproof dish. Spread with half of meat mixture. Top with another third of eggplant and repeat with meat, finishing with eggplant.
5. In a bowl combine egg yolks, flour, yoghurt, salt and pepper to taste. Spread on top of eggplant. Top with parmesan cheese.
6. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden and crisp.