This Sunday evening special needs no description – other than the promise that plates will be emptied very quickly.
2 Tbsp butter
1 onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp Edmonds standard flour
½ tsp dry mustard
2 cups milk, heated salt and pepper
2 cups grated tasty cheese
2 cups macaroni elbows, cooked
2 Tbsp dry breadcrumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 190˚C.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and cook gently for about 10 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
3. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, until frothy. Then add the mustard.
4. Remove from the heat and add the hot milk gradually, stirring.
5. Return to the heat and cook, still stirring, until the sauce boils and thickens. Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper and add half the grated cheese, and the macaroni.
6. Combine well and put into an ovenproof dish.
7. Mix the breadcrumbs into the remaining grated cheese and sprinkle over the top.
8. Cook for 20 minutes or until golden and heated through.
Add chopped, cooked bacon or ham to the sauce if you wish.