A jam to make in the winter from dried apricots and tinned pineapple. It has a very good flavour and beautiful colour.
250g dried apricots, roughly chopped
2¾ cups water
½ cup lemon juice
440g can unsweetened crushed pineapple
3½ cups sugar
1 tsp butter
1. Soak the apricots in the water for 12 hours overnight, then put in a saucepan with the soaking liquid and bring to the boil. Simmer for 20 minutes or until tender.
2. Add the lemon juice and crushed pineapple and bring back to the boil, then add the sugar and stir until it has dissolved.
3. Bring the jam to a fast, rolling boil, stirring often, and boil for 5–6 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and test the jam for a set. When the jam reaches setting point stir in the butter to remove any froth.
5. Pour the jam into sterilised jars and cover tightly.