Hard-boiled eggs wrapped in spiced sausage meat, then crumbed and deep fried – these are perfect for a picnic with homemade tomato sauce.
vegetable oil for deep frying
400g sausage meat or skinned sausages
¼ cup finely chopped onion
1 Tbsp tomato sauce
salt and pepper
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
4 hard-boiled eggs
1 egg, beaten
1 cup fine, crisp breadcrumbs
1. Heat the vegetable oil in saucepan or deep-fryer.
2. Put the sausage meat or skinned sausages, onion, tomato sauce, salt and pepper and lemon zest in a bowl and mix well to combine.
3. Shell the eggs and divide the sausage meat mixture evenly into four. With wet hands, mould the sausage meat mixture around each egg.
4. Roll in the beaten egg, then in the breadcrumbs.
5. Deep-fry in hot oil for 8 minutes or until golden. Drain on paper towels.
6. Cut in half lengthwise and serve hot or cold.