The formula for a smooth, rich chocolate mousse is 1 egg and 25g dark chocolate per person. Serve in tiny glasses or espresso coffee cups.
100g dark chocolate
2 Tbsp water or espresso coffee
4 eggs, separated
1 Tbsp rum or orange liqueur
whipped cream and grated chocolate
1. Chop the chocolate and place in a heatproof bowl with the water or coffee. Set the bowl over a saucepan of hot water. Leave for 5 minutes then stir gently until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
2. Beat the egg yolks until fluffy and then gradually stir in the warm chocolate, followed by the rum or liqueur.
3. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold half into the chocolate mixture. When incorporated, add the remaining egg white and continue to fold gently together until combined and there are no white streaks.
4. Spoon into 4 small dishes or 1 large one and leave in a cool place for several hours or overnight. The mousse will become firm as the chocolate sets, but may be a little too hard if set in the refrigerator.
5. Serve decorated with whipped cream and grated chocolate.