The surface of this flan has a light crunchy crust tasting of toasted coconut, topping a beautifully airy sponge. Underneath is the tangy lemony apple.
1 packet Edmonds Golden Butter Cake Mix
1 cup coconut
125g butter, softened
2 cups stewed apple
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC. Grease a large ovenproof dish.
2. Put contents of cake mix packet and coconut into a bowl or food processor. Process to combine. Process or rub in butter with your fingertips until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
3. Combine stewed apple and lemon rind.
4. Place stewed apples in the bottom of the ovenproof dish. Spoon crumble-like cake mixture evenly over apples. Combine water and lemon juice. Pour this over cake mixture.
5. Bake for 55 minutes or until pale golden and firm to touch. Serve hot or cold with Hokey Pokey ice-cream or whipped cream.