A famous Mexican dish of chicken-filled tortillas quickly baked with hot tomato sauce and cheese. Our tender homemade tortillas, combined with a creamy sauce make this dish a real treat.
1 clove garlic
2–3 jalapeño or serrano chillies (canned), or ½ tsp chilli powder
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
½ tsp salt
½ cup sour cream, at room temperature
2 Tbsp oil
8 fresh Flour Tortillas
1½ cups shredded, cooked chicken
1 onion, very finely chopped
¾ cup grated tasty cheese
1 Tbsp chopped parsley or coriander
1. Halve the tomatoes and cook them on an oiled griddle or in a heavy-based frying pan, turning once, until the skin is slightly charred and the flesh is soft.
2. In a blender or food processor, purée the tomatoes, garlic and chillies until smooth, then fry the mixture in the oil for about 5 minutes until it has thickened slightly.
3. Add the salt, and then stir in the sour cream and heat very gently. Don’t allow the sauce to boil or it will curdle.
4. Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
5. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry each tortilla quickly for about 15 seconds, turning once, without letting them become crisp. They should be just slightly heated.
6. Dip each tortilla in the warm tomato sauce, letting the excess drip off, and then transfer to a plate and spread with 2 tablespoons of the shredded chicken and sprinkle with chopped onion. Roll up loosely and place side by side in an ovenproof dish. (This is a slightly messy operation, but do persevere – it is worth it.)
7. Pour the remaining tomato sauce over the tortillas and sprinkle with the grated cheese and any remaining onion.
8. Bake for just 10 minutes to heat through and melt the cheese, sprinkle with chopped parsley or coriander and serve immediately.