¼ cup cocoa
¼ cup boiling water
½ tsp vanilla essence
¾ cup brown sugar
¾ cup Edmonds standard flour
¾ cup Edmonds wholemeal flour
3 tsp Edmonds baking powder
2 Tbsp milk
1. Preheat oven to 180˚C. Grease and line a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper.
2. Dissolve cocoa in boiling water. Mix to a smooth paste. Add vanilla and allow to cool.
3. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add cocoa mixture. Beat eggs in one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Sift flour, wholemeal flour and baking powder together. Return husks from the sieve back to the sifted flour. Fold sifted ingredients into creamed mixture. Stir in milk.
5. Spoon mixture into the cake tin.
6. Bake for 40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
7. Leave in tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. When cold dust with icing sugar.