An economical cake with a sponge-like texture which is also an excellent recipe for beginner bakers.
1 Tbsp golden syrup
½ cup sugar
few drops of vanilla essence
1 Tbsp cocoa
1 cup Edmonds standard flour
1 tsp Edmonds baking powder
1 tsp Edmonds baking soda
¾ cup milk
1. Preheat the oven to 190ºC. Grease two 20cm shallow round tins and line the bases with baking paper.
2. Melt the butter and golden syrup in a small saucepan and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the egg, sugar and vanilla and beat well.
3. Sift the cocoa, flour and baking powder together and dissolve the baking soda in the milk.
4. Fold the dry ingredients into the mixture alternately with the milk. Pour into the prepared tins.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until the cakes spring back when lightly touched. Leave in the tins for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
6. When cold, sandwich together with Chocolate Buttercream Icing.