1/4 cup caster sugar
2 tsp golden syrup
60g Edmonds standard flour
1 tsp Edmonds baking powder
1/2 tsp Edmonds baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C. Lightly butter twelve small shallow patty tins and dust them with flour.
2. Warm a mixing bowl by running hot water inside it and then dry it thoroughly. Beat the eggs and sugar until pale and thick. This will take about 3 minutes with an electric beater.
3. Add the golden syrup and keep beating for another 5 minutes.
4. Sift together the dry ingredients fold them gently into the egg mixture.
5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tins and bake for 8-10 minutes. The surface should spring back when you touch it lightly with your finger.
6. Leave for a couple of minutes until the mixture shrinks away from the tins a little. Turn out carefully loosening them with a round-bladed knife if necessary.
7. When cold cut a slit into the side of each cake with a small serrated knife and spoon or pipe in some whipped cream. Dust with icing sugar.