A very moist and rich cake made with ground almonds rather than flour, this makes a delicious dessert or special occasion cake.
175g unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
6 eggs, separated
150g dark chocolate, melted
140g ground almonds
icing sugar, whipped cream, berries
1. Preheat the oven to 190ºC. Grease a 20cm round springform tin and line the base with baking paper.
2. Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy, then beat in the egg yolks. Fold in the melted chocolate and ground almonds.
3. In another bowl beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold the whites into the chocolate mixture. Keep folding until there are no white streaks then scoop into the prepared tin.
4. Bake for 20 minutes then reduce the heat to 150˚C for a further 15 minutes or until the cake is firm.
5. Leave in the tin to cool, then release the sides and transfer carefully to a serving plate. Dust with icing sugar and serve warm or cold with cream, and berries if in season.