A grainy, moist bread which is quickly and easily made. You may have to find the grains at a specialty store.
155g kibbled (cracked) wheat
200ml boiling water
465g Edmonds high grade flour
280g Edmonds wholemeal flour
25g Edmonds Surebake yeast
5g (1 tsp) sugar
20g (35ml) vegetable oil
1. Put the kibbled wheat into a bowl, pour in the boiling water and give the mixture a good stir. Set aside to cool for 30 minutes.
2. Place the cooled kibbled wheat and water and the remaining ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook. Mix on slow until the dough becomes smooth and elastic. This is the easy way.
3. If kneading by hand, mix all the ingredients together until they form a dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface until the dough becomes smooth and elastic. This may take 15 minutes and will be a real workout.
4. Divide the dough into 4 even pieces and mould into rounds. Cover with a clean tea towel and set aside for 15 minutes.
5. Grease two 25cm loaf tins.
6. Lightly remould each piece of dough into rounds, bringing them back to their original size and knocking back the gases formed in the process. Place 2 rounds of dough into each tin. Cover with the tea towel and leave in a warm place until doubled in size.
7. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
8. Bake for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.