Fresh tortillas taste far better than bought ones, and they are simple and satisfying to make. Try them and we guarantee you’ll be a fresh tortilla fan.
2 cups Edmonds high grade flour
½ tsp salt
3 Tbsp oil
¾ cup warm water, approximately
1. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Stir in the oil and add enough water to form a
2. Turn the dough onto a floured board and knead for 3 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding a little more flour if you need to. Place the ball of dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth and leave at room temperature for 30 minutes.
3. Turn out the dough, knead it lightly and divide into 8 pieces. Form each piece into
a ball, then flatten into a disc about 7.5cm in diameter and cover with a cloth to keep the dough soft.
4. Heat a heavy-based frying pan. Roll out a portion of dough to a 20cm circle on a lightly floured board, turning the dough over frequently.
5. Cook the first tortilla for about 45 seconds or until golden, then flip over and cook the other side for another 45 seconds. While the first tortilla is cooking, roll out the next one.
6. As the tortillas are cooked, pile them on a warm plate covered with a bowl or another plate to keep them soft. Serve warm with any savoury dish, or use them to make our Chicken Enchiladas.