We've reduced the sweetness in this family classic slightly by substituting pineapple in syrup for pineapple in juice!
500g pork pieces
2 Tbsp oil
2 small onions, quartered
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ cup chicken liquid stock
225g can pineapple pieces, in juice
¼ cup tomato sauce
½ tsp grated root ginger
2 Tbsp white vinegar
2 Tbsp brown sugar
½ cup chopped red pepper
½ cup chopped cucumber
½ cup baby sweetcorn
100g mushrooms, quartered
1 Tbsp Edmonds Fielder’s cornflour
1. Trim fat from pork and cut into 2cm pieces. Heat the oil in a saucepan or wok. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is clear. Remove from pan.
2. Add half the pork pieces and quickly brown on all sides. Remove from pan. Repeat with remaining meat. Return meat and onions to pan.
3. Add stock and bring to the boil. Cover and cook gently for 30 minutes or until meat is tender.
4. Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Add pineapple pieces, tomato sauce, ginger, vinegar, sugar, red pepper, cucumber, sweetcorn and mushrooms to pan. Cook for 5 minutes. Return to the boil.
5. Combine juice and cornflour, mixing until smooth. Stir in cornflour mixture and boil for 2 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. Serve with rice or noodles.